Potassium by concentration: instant coffee powder (gasp), dr apricots, potato baked and crisps (gasp), sultanas, spinach, bananas.
- Ready In: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: Nill
- Serves: 6-8
This is a strong gutsy salad which does double duty as a side salad to steak or a roast but can work as a filling meatless main meal salad as well. There are now so many recipes for kale that I had to add my own contribution! Just keep in mind that the kale has to be really fresh-fresh.
- For the salad:
- 500g fresh kale (approx 2 large bunches), washed and chopped finely
- 1 avocado, cubed
- ½ cup (80g) toasted almonds or use hazelnuts, walnuts or pine nuts
- ½ cup cranberries or raisins
- ¼ cup soft feta or goat’s cheese, crumbled
- Garlic lemon dressing:
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Freshly-ground pepper
Nutrition per serve
Per serve of 6 servings: 1380 Kilojoules (330 Calories), 28g fat (including 5g saturated fat), protein (7g) 11g carbohydrate, 5g fibre, 150mg sodium. Read our nutrition rating system.
Prepare kale leaves and place in a large mixing bowl.
Pour the combined dressing over the washed, chopped kale and massage for a few minutes to allow the flavours to be soaked up and for the leaves to be softened. Arrange on the base of a large serving bowl or platter.
Top with avocado cubes, then sprinkle over almonds, berries and crumbled cheese
To make dressing:
In a jar combine dressing ingredients and shake until combined.
Variations to make this salad into a light meal - add one of these and toss well before serving:
• 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
• 1 cup cubes of pumpkin or sweet potato, roasted
• 1/2 cup shaved parmesan, crumbled goat or feta cheese
Recipe developed by dietitian Airlie Lacy.
Download my Fact Sheet on A salad a day keeps kilos away.